Where do you start?
When you find out you are pregnant, its daunting, what do I buy? Lots of things are expensive and some items are unnecessary. What are the bare essentials that you cannot do without?
- If you can afford it, buy a travel system. All of the pieces fit to the same buggy base so it is really handy.
- An isofix, again expensive, but so easy to get the car seat in and out.
- Muslins are a must have plenty as they can be used to mop up so much, and can be used instead of a bib. Will save you having so many clothes changes for you and baby.
- Plenty of blankets to keep your baby warm when out and about.
- A dehumidifier is great to help the temperature appropriate for baby and helps when is poorly with a blocked nose.
- If you plan to bottle feed, a microwave steriliser is a must. You can take it with you on trips away, without having to buy a plug in one for the home too!
- For bottle feeders, using powder formula, Tommy Tippee have some powder tubs so you can pre-measure the right amount of powder.
- Purchase some nappy sacks, for the stinky nappies. Mamia (Aldi) are really cheap with a nice smell to tone down the odour! No need to buy a nappy dispenser!
- Muchkin spoons are the best we have found, soft for baby's mouth, especially when teething.
- Dentinox teething gel is a must, its only £1.50 too so cheap, and does the trick for poorly gums.
- A bottle of Calpol is a must for any household with children.
- Get some newborn nappies (a small pack in case you do not need them) and some size 1 nappies
- Buy plenty of baby wipes (I like Mamia by Aldi, they are super cheap and good!)
- Buy some soothers (dummies) just in case. We like the Tommy Tippee cherry dummies as they fit into small babies mouths, and they are really soft. They will help with your baby's teething.
- Get the free packs from Emma's Diary; the freebies are useful!
- Do not go mad and buy too many clothes or toys as people buy these for you, generally up to size 3 months. I felt bad if my baby did not wear everything that was bought so rather than waste money, wait to see what you are gifted! Buy a few plain baby grows to put under other outfits if it is winter as your baby will need the layers!
It can be so easy to go mad and buy a million things that you do not really need.
If you are on a budget. Try your local NCT, or baby and local sales websites for second hand.
This post is entirely my own opinion, it has not been written in exchange for gifts by any brands mentioned in this article.